Wednesday, March 21, 2012

People are idiots.

Apparently this is the face of a dangerous young man.
 I went to bed yesterday in a bad mood. Lately I've been thinking a lot about how, while I truly believe that humanity as a whole is good, the vast majority of those in power couldn't care less about the well-being of other human beings. Most of them only worry about money, and some of them don't seem to have any motivation at all for what they do besides some sick desire to entertain themselves in a sadistic manner. (Joseph Kony, I'm looking at you.) I think the reason everyone's so crazy about The Hunger Games these days is that it's a startlingly realistic idea of what America's future could be like. Honestly, I would not be surprised at all if, a couple centuries from now, the government maintains control by forcing innocent teenagers to slaughter each other like it's a sport.

Yeah, just because I act all cheerful and smiley most of the time doesn't mean I'm not a cynical person deep down.

As if I hadn't already lost enough faith in the world, this morning I became educated on the murder of Trayvon Martin. Martin was a seventeen-year-old Floridian known for his good grades and pleasant demeanor before some psychopath named George Zimmerman shot him in the chest just because he seemed "suspicious" while walking around a gated community to visit his father's fiancee. He was dressed in jeans, a hoodie, and sneakers, and armed with Skittles. (Yes, that's right, Skittles. Apparently rainbow-colored candy is considered a WMD in Sanford, Florida.) But according to the "Stand Your Ground" laws that exist in numerous U.S. states, a person can "defend himself" from anyone who seems like a threat by using violence. Considering the fact that what makes a person seem like a threat is highly subjective, I don't see any reason why we won't soon see cases of one kid shanking another because she sees the fact that he called Justin Bieber a bad name as hostile behavior.


Now, to be honest, I don't think George Zimmerman is a mentally stable man. The first tip-off should be that he's called 911 a whopping 46 times since January 1, 2011. How does one make that many 911 calls over the course of a year? "Hi, I'd like to report that my girlfriend just dumped me. I think we have a situation here." "Mayday, mayday! I need to relieve myself, but these public toilets are totally unsanitary!" At least, I'd like to believe that no one with fully functioning brain-cells would shoot an innocent teenager after the police specifically told him not to. I'm not saying what he did was in any way acceptable or that I forgive him for being a complete and total...Well, there's really no clean word for the type of person he is, so I'll just leave it up to you to decide what I would be calling him if this weren't a school blog. But the guy obviously has issues. And people are calling Zimmerman a racist, but I truly don't think that is the case, as his Hispanic heritage makes him a racial minority himself. The police, on the other hand? Hoooo, boy.

I hope the police where I live are not irresponsible lazy bums who just sit around eating Dunkin' Donuts all day, but I have to feel a bit concerned, since clearly this is the case with the cops in Sanford. Here's a little quiz for you: Say you're a police officer. When a woman calls 911 to report a boy screaming for help and then falling to the ground after the sound of a gunshot, do you...

A. Send an ambulance down to the scene of the crime.
B. Give the caller instructions on how she can help the boy.
C. Not care, since the boy might not be dead after all and you agreed to meet your friend for coffee in half an hour.

If you picked C, congratulations, you think just like the cops in Sanford!

Seriously, even after the fight ended and Martin was proclaimed dead, the justice system has done absolutely nothing to punish his killer or even look into the case at all. Even though Zimmerman has a criminal history and his neighbors say he is a disturbingly violent person, he was not tested for drugs or alcohol, even though that is standard protocol for such cases. The message this sends to me is, "Solve your own problems, America, because we police don't feel like bothering to help you."

Gee, my generation sure has a bright future.

Trayvon, rest in peace. I didn't know you, but it sounds like you were a good person, and I have no doubt that you were completely undeserving of your awful fate.

Pictures courtesy of eurweb.com and cfnews13.com.


To learn more about the Trayvon Martin case, visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment