Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My first blog post, yay!

Hello! I'm Melanie, and in case you haven't figured it out yet, this is my Catholic Morality blog. So, um...welcome! :D

Just a little heads-up here: I'm very opinionated. But if you know me, then you already knew that. ;)

To start out, allow me to share my opinions on two issues.

Capital punishment must be abolished.

The problem with capital punishment is that it is just that, punishment. When a criminal is caught, we shouldn't be thinking about punishment. We're not God, and we're probably not that person's parents, so it's not our decision to make. The purpose of putting someone in jail is to keep everybody else safe from him and hope that maybe he learns something in the process. The point is that we hope this person will change, and he can't change if he's dead. Besides, "Thou shalt not kill," does not just apply to murdering people in cold blood; it also means that we shouldn't kill people who have done bad things. Human beings do not have the right to decide whether or not other human beings deserve to be alive.

I highly recommend that everyone check out the manga/anime Death Note. It demonstrates exactly why killing criminals is wrong. But I'll warn you that it's pretty dark, and as the title implies, there is a lot of death, so you might find parts of it disturbing. It truly has a good lesson in it though.

Prayer should be permitted in public schools.

I understand that public schools don't want to push religion on anyone. That's good. But forcing people not to pray is just as bad as forcing them to pray, if not worse. This is the USA, and we are all about religious freedom, so if a person wants to say a prayer in a public school, he absolutely has the right to do so as long as he is not pressuring other people to pray with him. Not allowing prayer at public schools is one of the million examples of taking political correctness to the point where it contradicts itself. Don't even get me started on political correctness.

Well, that's it for now. I hope you enjoyed this introductory post, and if you didn't, here's a picture of a derpy horse.



You can't possibly not find that entertaining!

Note: I have no clue who took that picture, so I can't exactly give anyone credit for it, but know that I do not claim to own it.

4 comments:

  1. Mel, can i just say that i love this post? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not agree with the fact that you believe that we should not have capital punishment. One reason i do not agree with this is because the jails in our country are already full with criminals and probably more than half of those criminals that were released have gone back and committed more crimes, that is why i believe that capital punishment in necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But how else would the criminal learn? If we just let them go without some sort of punishment, or just a slap on the wrist (which I think prison is for some criminals) then they would just go and do that same thing again, or something worse. And "hope he learns something in the process?" That's nice in theory, but it's exactly what it sounds like- a hope. It won't necessarily happen. I also believe there's a reason the Commandment is worded "Thou shall not KILL." There's a difference between killing and murdering, and some people do such evil that they deserve to die. "Do unto others as you would have done to you." And I love the Death Note reference (you know how I love my anime, especially that one x)) but I think there's a difference. Light literally went crazy with power. With him, the line started blurring between not getting caught and punishing criminals. But the world was a better place for a little while at the beginning. Criminals actually stopped committing crimes in fear of being killed by Kira. (how disturbing can it be? I've been watching it since it first came out in elementary school XD)

    I agree that people should be allowed to practice whatever religion they want. They just have to be sure they're not offending anyone or pushing anyone to join them. Because, of course, this country is all about the political reference. I took this question more to mean if prayer should be allowed in a group setting in a public school.

    I enjoyed the horse very much. x) Thank you, you just made my day darling! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree and disagree with capital punishment, i think it should only be if the person is truly guilty of a serious crime.
    but you are very opinionated so i give you props on staying true to what you believe!!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete